What to do with the bananas that seem to ripen overnight? I was getting tired of banana bread and wanted to try something different, especially since the freezer seemed to exploding with all the overripe bananas that had been collecting. One week I will not be able to keep enough bananas in the house and then the next week Stella will just stop eating them, with no notice or anything, this is what keeps our freezer full of very ripe bananas!
I had done banana cookies and they were good, banana pancakes, banana muffins but I really wanted something closer to a brownie and why not banana?!
Banana Chocolate Chip Brownies
Ingredients (preferably organic)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg, free-range, organic
1 tsp vanilla
3 – 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cup chocolate chips, we used a combo of dark and bittersweet chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
3. Add the egg and mix until fluffy and creamy.
4. Mash the bananas and then add to mixture along with the vanilla, mix well.
5. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt to the mixture, mix until incorporated into the batter.
6. Add the chocolate chips, stir in by hand.
7. Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, the brownie should spring back and be golden brown.
8. Allow to cool completely, cut and serve. Ok – you could cut them when they are still warm – we couldn’t resist!