Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day and I could eat it anytime of the day! Some mornings we are a bit rushed and I like to have items on hand that I can “make” without standing over the stove! I am a big make ahead person and do many breakfast items: breakfast burritos, pancakes, waffles to name a few and now oatmeal to go!
“To Go” Oatmeal
1 cup raw buckwheat groats (not kasha)
1 cup steel cut oats
5+ cups water
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cardamon
Pinch of sea salt
Toppings (fresh, frozen or dried fruit, nuts, seeds, coconut
1. In a large pot, bring water and all ingredients, EXCEPT syrup and toppings, to a boil. Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, stir well. If it is too thick add some additional water. Cover and allow to sit overnight.
3. Before getting ready to fill your jars, mix in some syrup to sweeten if desired.
4. Taking your mason jars (either pint or half pint, preferably wide mouth) fill with some oats and layer with your toppings. I did two layer of toppings and then a few toppings on top.
5. Once you have filled all the jars, cover and refrigerate. These will keep for at least a week in the fridge – depending on what toppings you used.
I take them out of the fridge the evening before and leave on the counter. In the morning I fill a pot with water and put the jars in – let the water boil and heat the jars as we are getting ready. Be careful taking jars our the water when ready to eat or take with you!
I filled pint jars and it seemed to be 2 serving for us. Next time I will use half pint jars. I found myself eating about half in the morning and the other half for an afternoon snack. Really filling and stays with you!