I already make my own dishwasher detergent, but when I saw this I wanted to give it a try. With my dishwasher detergent I also use a citric acid liquid to help get the glasses to sparkle – this recipe had citric acid and vinegar – so it should really make my glasses and dishes shine!
This recipe is much more labor intensive and it take some effort to pack it into the ice cube trays – but it is so worth it – my glasses and dishes sparkled!
Dishwasher Tabs ( I found this recipe off Higher Perspective)
2 Cups of Washing soda
1 Cup of Baking soda
1 Cup of Citric acid
1/2 Cup of Kosher salt
1 Teaspoon of Liquid castile soap
1/2 cup of White vinegar
15 – 20 Drops of Lemon Essential oils (optional and your choice of oils)
Ice cube tray (2 to 3)
I ended up using 2 1/2 ice cube tray, making 41 tabs. After figuring out the cost these come out to less than $0.10 per load if you are using a full tab. You can half the tabs for smaller dishwashers or smaller loads.
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large, glass bowl.
2. Gradually pour in the vinegar, just a little bit at a time. Some fizzing will probably happen and will get lumpy – but don’t worry.
3. Mix in the castile soap and essential oil if you choose to use it. I liked the lemon scent and figured if it made my kitchen smell this good while making it – that it would also making it smell good when washing my dishes.
4. Pack the mixture into icecube trays. Make sure they’re well compacted. I used a spoon to help me really pack it in.
5. Set the trays out in a warm, sunny spot, allowing them to dry for about 24 hours.
6. Take the tabs out of the trays and store in a tight-lidded container.