I have mentioned before that I so want Stella to like soups and eat them more, well I found one that she just loves! Me not so much. Stella had this soup over at a friends house and just raved about it – so of course I asked for the recipe. It is not specific on the mushrooms to use – so since I am not a huge mushroom fan I used the only mushrooms I really like – portobello, in hopes that I would like this soup.
Stella has pretty much eaten this for a week straight, adding either some homemade rye bread or pizza toast. She just can’t get enough of it.
3 Tbl butter, preferably grass fed
2 Tbl olive oil
3/4 cup onion or shallots, chopped into small pieces
2 lbs. mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tsp thyme (fresh preferably)
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
1/3 cup organic cream
3 Tbl organic flour
3 1/2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1/2 cup whole, organic milk (preferably raw)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup organic sour cream
1. Prepare your mushrooms and onions or shallots.
2. In a large soup pot, melt butter with the olive oil.
3. Add onion or shallots and saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms, thyme, sea salt & pepper. Cook until liquid is rendered.
5. Add cream – mix well.
6. Stir in flour, cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
7. Add broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Lower the heat and whisk in the milk.
9. Add the nutmeg and sour cream – mix well.
Serve and enjoy!