I saw a picture of a cake made from a watermelon and had to try it. How cool a cake that under the frosting is watermelon – FUN! Of course when I tried to remember where I saw the photo – I could not for the life of me remember – so I did it by memory and what I thought would work well.
1 pint Heavy whipping cream (full fat)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 – 2 tsp Sugar or Stevia (I used stevia)
Crispy almonds (optional, but recommended)
1. In a cold glass bowl (place in fridge 30 minutes before, along with the beaters) pour in of whipping cream along with the sugar – mix on low until sugar or stevia is mixed in.
2. Add the vanilla and mix on medium until soft peaks form. Place in refrigerator. You can make the whipped cream ahead of time (no more than 1 day) – cover and store in the refrigerator – you will need to hand whipped it again before using.
3. Remove the top and bottom from the watermelon and then remove the rind from the middle section. You want this to look like a tall round cake.
6. Before icing the watermelon, dab dry with a paper towel – this will help the whipped cream adhere better.
7. Ice the watermelon cake with the whipped cream, sides and top.
8. If using the slivered almonds – coat the side of the cake or sprinkle on top.
9. Arrange the fruit on the top of the cake.
Enjoy!! People were so surprised when I cut into it! It was a hit!!
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2013
I think a lot, but that is one thing I never thought about! A watermelon cake – life is full of surprises!
And, it is delicious. Beautiful “watermelon” cake…great job!!
Looks beautiful and what fun! xoxo
Very clever! Perfect or a beach vacation dessert.