After apple picking I had a craving for some roasted pumpkin and apple soup! I am not sure why since I have never had nor have I made it – but I wanted it! So I had apples and I had pumpkin – now it was just figuring out how to make the soup. I found this great recipe and only made one change – I loved it, but I think I would add a little more liquid – it turned out pretty thick – but it was perfect for the chilly night!
Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup (thanks to Bake Bike Blog)
1/2 pumpkin, cut in half and de-seed
3 – 4 apples, cored and quartered
1 medium sized onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup coconut milk – NOT reduced fat
1 Tbl nutritional yeast
1 Tbl lemon juice
2 cups stock, either vegetable of chicken (more if you want a thinner soup)
Sea salt and pepper for seasoning.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2, Prepare the pumpkin and the apples. Place the pumpkin face down on a foil, lined cooked sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil.
3. Place the apple in a foil lined baking dish – spray the foil lightly with olive oil.
4. Roast for 45 minutes – 1 hour – checking a couple of times. When they are fork soft – take out and allow to cool.
5. Once cooled – scoop 1/2 the pumpkin flesh into a glass bowl. Peel the apples and place them in the glass bowl. Using a potato masher, combine them together – do not mash completely. Set aside.
6. In stock pot, melt some coconut oil and add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute until soft – about 10 minutes.
7. Add the pumpkin, apple, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and broth. Stir to combine. Cover and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
8. Using an immersion blender (or puree in blender) puree the soup. Season with sea salt and pepper. Enjoy.
This recipe said that it served 4 – I think it is more like 6 – which is fine with me – now I have lunch for the week!! Serve with some good bread or a muffin. I had another half of pumpkin and had to figure out something to make……