My cooking classes are starting back up again and the first one is Breakfasts for Healthy Minds (check out the class tab to see them all). I have been experimenting and baking – hoping to come up with a good breakfast bar for those mornings when you are in the negative time warp!! I think I have hit the jackpot. I have to thank Anja’s Food 4 Thought, since her bar was the basis of this hit in our house!
WOW Breakfast Bar
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cup whole milk (preferably raw) OR you could use a nut milk
3/4 cup dried fruit (blueberries, apples, cherries, apricots)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pistachio, almonds, walnuts)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbl chia seeds
2 Tbl hemp seeds
2 Tbl flax seed meal
1. Mix the milk and oats in a glass bowl and set aside.
2. Measure out your dried fruit. All the fruit I used I had picked and dried myself. Some needed to by cut smaller, using scissors works so much better than a knife.
3. Measure out 1/2 cups of nuts, place in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin – crush the nuts. Again, I think this is so much easier than chopping with a knife.
4. Mix all the remaining ingredients into the milk/oats mixture – let sit for 10 minutes or more.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
6. Pour (or better yet, push it in – it is not runny) the batter into the pan and spread and flatten evenly.
7. Baked for 30 45 minutes – check after 30 minutes. It will start to brown on top and when touched will spring back. Take out of the oven, cool for about 5 minutes and then cut into 16 bars.
Allow to cool completely then store. After cutting I lifted the parchment paper out and placed on a rack to cool faster. Yummy!!
These are also making great lunch snacks!!