It has been so hot and humid here that I feel like I have a film all over my body! With all the sweating I feel that my pores are in need of a good cleansing and what better way than with an invigorating scrub. My favorite essential oil, besides that all versatile lavender, is patchouli. I used to wear patchouli all the time and the other day in the airport I was sitting next to a woman who was wearing it – I wanted patchouli! This time I decided to use sugar instead of salt and coconut oil instead of jojoba oil.
Patchouli and Lavender Sugar Scrub
1. In a glass bowl pour your sugar (or salt). How much depends on how much you want to make. I used a cup of sugar.
2. Add coconut oil, the ratio is half the amount of sugar, so that would mean 1/2 cup.
3. Mix well with a metal whisk or spoon – you do not want something that will absorb the oil and essential oil. When I have made other scrubs with salt the salt would fall to the bottom, but that did not happen with the mixture.
4. If using coconut oil, you will have to add more essential oil than you would with another oil – this is because of the strong coconut smell. I used about 30 drops of patchouli and 15 drops of lavender. The more oil the stronger the scent.
5. Store in a ceramic or glass jar. I use a canning jar. This mixture filled the jar with a little leftover.
When you are ready to use, step into the shower or tub, using a loofah, mitt or your hands – take a spoonful of the scrub and scrub in a circular motion all over your body. Don’t use as much pressure on sensitive skin areas as you would elbows, knees, heels – you are not trying to take your skin off! Be careful doing on your feet, remember this has oil and you do not want to slip and fall. Once you have exfoliated your entire body, rinse off and pat dry. Your skin will feel so soft and will be glowing!