I am not a huge cranberry fan, but Stella is and she loves, loves, loves this recipe. So do many of my friends and I have been asked to post the recipe – told them they had to wait until it was cranberry season. I was in the grocery yesterday and there they were – CRANBERRIES – so I bought some and made cranberry sauce last night.
A Different Kind of Cranberry Sauce
Cranberries (12 ozs.)
Blueberries (mine are frozen from picking in July)
1 Orange – try to get an organic one since you will be using the zest
1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar
1. Wash and pick through the cranberries, taking any bad one out and stems.
2. Take your orange and roll it on the counter – this helps with getting the most juice out of it. Slice the orange in half and juice it. Pour the juice into a glass measuring cup. Once you have juiced the orange add water to equal 1 cup of liquid.
3. Place the cup of liquid and 1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar in the saucepan. Most recipes call for 1 cup of sugar, since I use the orange and blueberries I cut the sugar – but it is really up to you. Bring to a boil.
4. Once the liquid and sugar have come to a boil, add the cranberrries and the zest of the orange. Mix and bring back to a boil.
5. Once it mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat so that it is a gently boil and add the blueberries – I add anywhere from 1 – 1/2 cups. Stir. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Stella will ask for this with every meal and in her lunch until it is gone – about 4 days!