I love soup and it seems to be even better when the weather is cold. Stella has never been much of a soup person, but that is changing – yeah!!! She is open to trying more soups and even better is she is liking most of them. She was at our neighbors house and they had some mushroom soup – she was too sure about that, but gave it a try – came home and wouldn’t stop talking about it – telling me I had to get the recipe and make it! The recipe is coming for that one.
When I came across this recipe in one of my cookbooks – I wanted to give it a try. The thing that pushed me over was the fact that it has almonds in it and that means protein. There are 20 grams of protein in 1 cup of almonds – in my quest to get more protein into Stella this would work, but would she like it? That is always the question.
Broccoli & Almond Soup
2/3 cup ground almonds or almond meal
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
3 3/4 cup stock (chicken or veggie)
1 1/4 cup whole milk (preferably raw)
Sea salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread the ground almonds evenly on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. You may want to toss the browning ground almonds, so the edges don’t burn. Reserve 1/4 cup for garnish.
3. Cut up the broccoli into small floret and steam for 6 – 7 minutes or until tender.
4. Place the broccoli, the ground almonds (not the 1/4 cup set aside), milk and broth into a blender and puree. Season to taste.
5. Take your soup, place in a pot and heat. Or just leave it in your Vitamix and heat that way.
6. Serve with sprinkled ground almonds on top. The cheese crackers go really well with this soup.
Stella LOVED the soup!!!!!