I love ginger and I love molasses – so anything with the 2 of them in it – wonderful. I have a Ginger Molasses cookie recipe that I make on a occasion, but I wanted to make a ginger cookie with fresh ginger and decided on this recipe. I usually like a soft cookie, but for some reason I could not get this cookie to stay soft – no matter when I took it out of the oven – when it cooled it hardened. So instead of a ginger molasses cookie I ended up with a ginger snap cookie – I was not disappointed at all – the flavor zings in your mouth and the smell so gingery!
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbl grated, fresh ginger
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt – set aside.
2. In another large bowl, beat the ginger, butter and 1 cup of sugar until creamy.
3. Add the molasses and egg to the butter mixture and combine well.
4. Fold the flour into the butter mixture until just combined.
5. Chill for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll them in the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Place then 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for about 12 minutes – centers will still be soft.
9. Let the cookies stay on the cookie sheet for about 1 minute before removing to a rack to cool completely.
Your kitchen will smell SO good! Stella even commented on how good it smelled when these were baking.