I love to cook and bake, but doing it with someone else makes it even better! I spent a weekend cooking with my cousin. Both of us take great pride and effort in preparing wholesome, nourishing foods for our families, but at times we are both pressed for time when it comes to making dinner. We decided to get together for a weekend of cooking foods that we could freeze and have on hand when we needed a quick, but nourishing dinner. Along with our cooking we also prepared lunch, dinner and breakfast for 8 – I would say that we were definitely super moms!!
This dish was one that my cousin loved growing up – I had never had it, but had looked at the recipe several times in a family cookbook – so glad that we made it! It is now a new family favorite in our house. One of the best things about this recipe is that it freezes wonderfully!
White Sauce Ingredients
4 Tbl butter
4 tbl flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup whole milk, preferably raw
1 box lasagna noodles, cooked
1/2 lb swiss, cheddar, parmesan or mozzarella cheese or a combination of all three
6 hard boiled cooked eggs
2 cups white sauce
Sauteed chard (optional)
To Make the White Sauce (makes 2 cup)
1. Melt butter.
2. Once the butter is melted add the flour and salt and then add the milk all at once. If you have any farmer’s cheese on hand you can add some of that too.
3. Keep stirring over medium heat until thickened.
To Make the Egg Lasagna
1. Hard boil the eggs, set aside to cool.
2. Cook the lasagna noodles in water with salt and some olive oil. The olive oil helps with preventing the noodles from sticking together when they are cooling.
3. Peel and slice the hard boiled eggs, set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Using a 9×13 baking dish coat the bottom of the pan with some white sauce.
6. Now to layer: noodles, chard, sliced eggs, sauce, cheese. We used a combination of cheeses along with some farmer’s cheese that my cousin had made ahead.
7. For the last layer: noodles, cheese and then pour remaining sauce over the top.
8. Bake the lasagna for 1 hour.
9. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. You can cut pieces, wrap in parchment paper and then foil and place in the freezer – remember to label with name and date.
When heating up, place in an oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. This is great with a side of salad or veggies. This is one of Stella’s new favorites and it is great for those nights when she had an after school activity!