The head/chest cold that has been making the rounds hit our house and all I wanted was some good hearty soup. I decided to make this one with some bone broth, but you could make with with vegetable or chicken broth. The healing properties of soup always amaze me – I think it is more than just the physical ingredients that are put into the soup – a lot of it is the “magic” that the maker brings to the creation. The other great thing about making a big pot of soup in the winter months is that I can store it in my foyer – which is just as cold as my refrigerator!!
Hearty Lentil Soup
1 Tbl olive oil
1 1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrot
3 cloves garlic, sliced
4 cups broth
1 cup water
1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes – undrained
1 cup dried lentils
3/4 cup leftover brown rice
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop all your vegetables.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom soup pot.
3. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and saute until soft.
4. Add the broth, water and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
5. Turn heat down and add the lentils, simmer for 35 minutes – stirring occasionally.
6. Add the rice and simmer for another 10 minutes – stirring occasionally.
7. Add the red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper.
Serve with some good bread and feel the nourishment throughout!