I started the baby quilt back in November (Part 1), putting together all the blocks and then waited for the baby to be born. I waited and waited and a week passed by from the due date and then… I received the phone call the baby had been born and it was a girl! A few days later I was at the fabric store picking out the fabric for the sashing and backing. I decided on pink, which I usually do not do for a girl, but for some reason, this time I was drawn to the color.
So the weekend before we were going away I was at the ironing board, sewing machine and on the floor pinning and piecing together. I couldn’t wait to see the final quilt! I cut the sashings – about 1 1/2″ between blocks and 2 1/2 ” between rows.
The front of the quilt was done. Now I needed to add the back and the batting. I laid it all out on the floor, pinned it together and had Stella help hold it while I sewed it together. After doing two sides, I realized that is was not sewing together correctly!!! At this point I was pretty frustrated – but it was time to leave the house to take Stella to her first open mic – it would have to wait!
As we were driving to the open mic – I was really beating myself up, but by the time we got there I was laughing. It would not be a quilt made by me if I did not have to tear out seams while sewing it together! I can’t tell you how many times that I have pieced the quilt, back and batting together the wrong way and have not realized it until I was turning it right side out.
The compulsive part of me wanted to finish the quilt when we got back from the open mic, but the rational part of me decided to wait until the next day. I had figured that I was going to have to cut the fabric and sew together to make the back big enough for the quilt size – and I was OK with that. I ripped out the seams and then laid it all back out on the floor – there was no cutting or sewing to be done – the backing was the perfect size!! I re-pinned and went back to the sewing machine – it worked!!! Turned it right side out, sewed the opening and then using pink embroidery thread tacked the quilt – it was ready.
It has been a long time since I have personally delivered a quilt and I couldn’t wait to deliver this one!!