Needed yet another recipe to use up the apples and pears that we picked at the orchard. This is another recipe that was sent to me and with a few alterations – we made it our own! The aroma in the house was intoxicating and it added to the warmth needed on a rainy, chilly day. I asked the kids if they wanted to help and I never got an answer until about an hour later – when I heard so can we make the brownies now, boy it smells good in here! They were a little disappointed that they were not able to help, but I said you never answered so I went ahead and made.
The original recipe came from The Apple Lover’s Cookbook.
Apple & Pear Brownies
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled (use the wrapper to grease the pan)
3/4 cup flour (wheat, white, sprouted, gluten free)
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 Tbl cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (if using salted butter, omit this salt)
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup raw honey
1 large egg
1/2 cup crushed pistachio nuts
2 3/4 cups apples and pears ( I used 2 pears and 3 apples, but any combo would work)
1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Crush the pistachios by placing in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin – set aside
3. Peel and cut the apples and pears into about 1/2 cubes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Grease a 8 x 11 inch pan using the butter wrapper.
6. Combine the flour, flax seed meal, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a small glass bowl.
7. In a medium sized glass bowl, using a mixer combine the butter, honey and egg.
8. Add the pistachios, apples and pears and mix by hand.
9. Add the flour mixture and mix well (I also did by hand).
10. Spread the batter into the pan – making sure you spread it to all sides.
11. Bake about 35 minutes, checking at 25 minutes. You want it brown, firm to the touch and a tooth pick coming out clean.
12. Take out and cool in the pan on a wire rack.
13. Wait at least 30 minutes before cutting into 12 bars. They set when they cool. I had to wait about an hour before I could get out of the pan in one piece.
These make a great dessert or afternoon snack. The chunks of fruit really add to the enjoyment of eating it!