After making the tooth powder and using it for a couple of days – I decided to try and make toothpaste. I have to say I thought making toothpaste would be a little more difficult than it was, but I was done in about 10 minutes!
Like I did for the tooth powder – let me go into a little bit about the ingredients:
– Calcium Carbonate: Removes stains and plaque, plus it polishes the teeth.
– Baking Soda: Helps whiten teeth and removes plaque.
– Xylitol: Sweetener with a low glycemic index. It fights plaque by neutralizing plaque acids.
– Coconut Oil: Helps stop tooth decay and prevents cavities, facilitates the absorption of calcium, creating stronger teeth, whitens, eliminates bad breath and minimizes the risk of getting gum disease. Another benefit of coconut oil is that it helps pull heavy metal toxins from the body.
1. In a half pint or pint jar mix all the dry ingredients.
2. Add the coconut oil (if you want it drier add less, if wetter add more). Stir making sure to get everything from the bottom and side mixed in.
3. Add the spearmint oil – the amount depends on how strong you want the flavor. If you don’t like spearmint you can use another mint, cinnamon, citrus essential oil. Mix.
Use like you would other toothpaste, you are just dipping your toothbrush into a container. I have read other places that people put the homemade toothpaste into a plastic bag and snip the corner and then squeeze out onto their toothbrush.
Be prepared – this is not going to foam up and it is a little gritty – but your teeth will feel so clean and will start to look whiter.
I like both the powder and the paste and think I will use one in the morning and one at nights – since they both have different ingredients. Think I will have to see about making the powder recipe into a paste!