Yeah! – Stella likes soup. Well I should clarify – she likes two soups, lentil and tomato-basil. She had tomato-basil at a friends house, from a can, but she loved it – so I decided to make some homemade. I found out that she liked lentil the other night – she was not feeling well and I suggested some lentil soup, she tried it and said, “hey, I like this!”
This soup is so easy, only 7 ingredients – well 8 if you count salt and pepper for the seasoning! I was feeling a little under the weather, so this was perfect. I love the smell of basil and the aroma permeated the kitchen as I washed and cut it – I didn’t want to wash my hands so I could keep smelling it on my fingers, but I did.
1 large onion, chopped (and yes I cried as I chopped, sniffles and all!)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbl olive oil
One – 28 oz. can chopped or crushed tomatoes, preferably organic
1 handful basil leaves, washed and cut into 1/2″ pieces
Season (salt & pepper)
1. Heat a large stock pot or saucepan over medium heat.
2. Chopped the onion and garlic.
3. Add the olive oil and heat.
4. Add the onion and garlic, saute until translucent, about 10 minutes – stir frequently so that the onion and garlic do not burn
5. Add the tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add the water to the mixture
6. Bring the mixture to a boil
7. Reduce to a simmer and add the basil, simmer for an additional 20 minutes or so
I served with some cornbread (I am trying to clean my cabinets out of mixes and canned goods – so no recipe here!) Stella loved this soup and told me it tasted just like the other she had at her friends house – not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not!