When I came across a recipe for a vegetarian pot pie with a biscuit crust that you could make in the crock pot – I had to try it!
Vegetarian Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust
3 Tbl olive oil
1 medium sized yellow onion – chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup plus 2 Tbl flour (I used un-bleached white since I was all out of wheat)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups cooked chickpeas or two 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup vegetable stock/broth
1 Tbl soy sauce or tamari (I used tamari)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried savory
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/ cup milk or soy milk (I used milk)
1. Chopped the onion and carrot. Heat 1 Tbl oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Peel and dice the potato.
4. Lightly grease the inside of the crock pot.
5. Transfer the onion and carrot mixture to the crock pot. Add 2 Tbl flour and mix to coat.
7. About an hour before you are ready to serve, make the crust.
9. Quickly stir in the milk and the remain 2 Tbl olive oil until just blended.
10. Spoon the biscuit topping over the surface of the simmering vegetables.
11. Turn the heat to high, cover and cook for about 1 more hour – making sure the crust is cooked through.
I enjoyed this and will be eating a lot of it during the week – Stella did not like it. I think the next time that I make it I will add a little more broth, some more vegetables and double the seasonings to add a little more flavor. I was really amazed at how light, fluffy and good the biscuit topping was!