This post was originally posted on October 18, 2011.
I decided to re-post this recipe – why you ask or maybe you are not asking. there are a couple of reasons. I closed on my house and any spare time I have has been in moving items out of storage and unpacking. The other reason – I recently made these for a snack at a class taught by the organization that I work for and many people asked me for the recipe! I just made it again last night, per a request for our upcoming Board Meeting.
2 cups flour (I mixed whole wheat and unbleached white – 1 cup each)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter – melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped apples
4 Tbl sugar
4 tsp ground sugar
1. Cut the apples – I did some with the peel still on. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
4. Mix/sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon – set aside.
5. In a large bowl mix together the brown sugar, sugar and butter.
7. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined.
8. Add the apples.
9. Spread the mixture in the baking pan.
11. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Check after 25 minutes. Bars are done when they spring back when lightly touched – do not use the toothpick method to test for doneness. You want these to be moist.
12. Cool in the pan and cut into squares.