My aunt has been making some delicious cheese crackers and they are on my list to make, but when I came across this recipe I decided to give it a try. I like cheese, but it does not always like me. Stella loves anything cheese! This recipe is a little lighter on the cheese and I thought it might be a little better for me and my stomach. It is not something you can just whip up – you need to do a little planning since the dough has to be refrigerated.
Cheddar Crackers (thank you to www.tomandkatiew.blogspot.com)
2 cup flour (I did half white and half wheat)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup organic butter, cold
1/2 cup organic cheddar cheese, grated (raw milk cheddar even better) I really packed the cup
6 + Tbl cold water
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a glass bowl.
2. Add the butter and then either with your hands or a fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles corn meal.
3. Grated the cheese and then add to the mixture.
4. Add 1 Tbl of water at a time and mix. I found towards the 5th Tbl it was better to use my hands to mix the dough.
5. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cooking sheet with parchment paper.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle that is approximately 16×12. The rolled out dough should be about 1/8″ thick.
8. Cut into 1″ x 3″ pieces and place on the baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
9. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes – you want them to be golden brown and crispy. Cool completely before serving.
These taste more like a cheesy pie crust cracker – I really liked them! Stella did not like them, which is fine since I think I could eat these with almost every meal and as a snack! I would roll them out even thinner next time – so they were crunchier and cut them a shorter length.