Another storm is hitting us and the weather reports are conflicting, but I am wagering that there will not be school again tomorrow. With the cold weather is was an excuse, not a big one, to make a pot of soup and a warm, comforting dinner. Looking in the refrigerator I decided another kale soup.
Kale and Chickpea Soup
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup portabella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 – 3/4 cup shitake mushrooms, chopped
3 – 6 cloves garlic, chopped
Lard, butter, olive oil or coconut oil
Course sea salt – to taste
Ground pepper to tast
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
8 cups water
1 can chick peas, drained
3/4 bunch curly kale, chopped
1. Heat either lard, butter, olive oil or coconut oil in a large soup pot. While that is heating chop your carrots, mushrooms and garlic.
2. Add the carrots and saute for about 3 – 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and saute for another 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.
5. Add all the seasonings and mix well.
6. Add the water and simmer for 1 – 2 hours, you want the stock to be flavorful.
7. Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 20 – 30 minutes.
8. Add the kale and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes.