I really did not have to make anything new for either breakfast or dinner, since we had enough in the freezer from earlier cooking – but I decided it would be nice to have something new. Looking at what was in the refrigerator I decided on a quiche – using the veggies that were left, eggs, milk and 3 types of cheese. When Stella saw me making it – a smile went across her face and I think I heard a “yum”.
Sautéed veggies (carrots, onion, broccoli, spinach)
2+ cups grated cheese (I used a combination of cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella)
1/2 cup of milk
salt, pepper, dried or fresh herbs
1. Saute the vegetables in lard, coconut, butter or olive oil – you want them crisp, tender. You also want enough to cover the bottom of the cake pan.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Lightly grease your 9″ cake pan.
4. Grate your cheese.
5. Add the cheese to the eggs, along with salt and pepper – mix well.
6. Add the milk – if it seems too thick you can add a little more milk at a time.
7. Place the vegetables on the bottom of the pan.
8. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and spread with a fork.
9. Bake for about 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. It is done when it slightly pulls away from the sides and the center is firm.
Serve for either dinner or breakfast. Great re-heated!