One of the biggest challenges for Stella has been a snack after school. Stella eats lunch around 11am and get home around 4:30 – we don’t usually eat dinner until 6pm. By the time she gets home she is famished! Usually she will have some fruit, hard boiled egg or cheese – but since we are on such a limited amount of food and money – there has not been anything for her to really have for snack. I have been letting her eat some of my lunch items – but then I am without a full lunch – not a winning situation for either of us!
After making another batch of soaked oats pancakes – I still had some oats left – so I went through a couple of cook books and found a recipe for oat muffins. I altered the recipe some to make it more nutritious and filling.
Oat Muffins with Raisins and Carrots
1 cup milk $0.72
2/3 cup oats (not quick) $0.24
1 1/3 cups flour (I used organic white) $0.40
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 tsp baking powder
3 Tbl sugar
3 Tbl hemp seeds
1 Tbl olive oil
1 egg, well beaten $0.34
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup shredded and chopped carrots
Total cost of ingredients, with estimates for what I could not price out = $2.70. This equals $0.23 per serving.
1. Heat the milk until a film shines on surface, but do not bring to a boil.
2. Plump the raisins, but soaking in boiling water.
3. Grate a carrot and then chopped the grated carrot.
4. Put the oats into a glass bowl and add the milk – let soak for 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. Drain the raisins and set aside.
7. Add the oil to the oats mixture and mix.
8. Add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and hemp seeds) to the oats mixture and blend well.
9. Add a beaten egg to the oats mixture and blend well.
10. Add the raisins and carrots and mix well.
11. Spoon the batter into your muffin pan – I lined with muffins cups. Fill each to about half way. This will make 12 muffins.
12. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool.
These had a really nice flavor and the raisins and carrots added nicely. Stella could not wait for them to cool completely before putting butter on one and eating it right up!