Like all the years past – I am behind on my Christmas gift making. I have been frantically putting my list of gifts together, checking and double checking against past years list – making sure I am not making the same gift for the same person – again! (which I have done!)
Many of the gifts I am making I have already blogged -but it does make the making stage a little less crazy since I am not trying to make and learn something new.
We have several little girls on the gift list and what little girl does not like sparkles? I don’t know too many – so I decided to make a sparkly princess purse. I used to make these as birthday gifts for Stella’s friends, but I have probably not made one is 5 years.
Sparkly Princess Purse
1 skein fun fur with sparkles
1 skein yarn* (I used a metallic yarn, but the metallic does come off in places as you knit)
Circular or straight needles – size ccording to yarn requirements, but no larger than size 8
A couple of things to note on this pattern. You can knit the purse with circular needles or make it in two pieces and sew together. Also I would not recommend using yarn that using needles larger than size 8.
1. With both yarns held together cast on 60 stitches or how many stitches needed to get the circumference between 6 – 7 inches.
1a. If you are choosing to to knit two pieces, cast on 30 stitches with both yarns.
2. Start knitting in the round, making sure not to twist the stitches.
3. On circular needles, knit each row until your piece measures 1 inch. Cut the sparkly fun fur and continue knitting each round until your piece measure 6 inches.
3a. On straight needles knit in stockinette stitch until your piece measures 1 inch. Cut the sparkly fun fur and continue knitting until your piece measure 6 inches.
4. Bind off all stitches,
5. Turn your piece inside out and sew the bottom seems together.
5a. Once you have 2 pieces, face right side to right side and sew side and bottom seam together.
1. Using straight needles, with both yarns cast on 40 – 50 stitches (the more stitches the longer the strap).
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit
Sew the handle onto your purse. Weave in all ends.
Fill the purse with sparkly stickers, pencils, crayons and your gift is done!