I finally did it! I have started my Christmas present making in September – yeah! I always say I am going to start earlier and then the next thing I know it is the end of October and then I am a crazy woman (ok – more so than I already am!)!
We have a very large extended family and each year the Christmas list goes out within a month or two after Christmas. My grandmother used to do the list and now one of my cousins has taken over – so appreciative that she did. The way it works- for each one of your family members in the hat is how many names you are given – so we have 2 names. I reached out to both of our names and was given some suggestions and off I went.
I wanted a little different of a hat pattern and one that was unisex. When I saw this hat in one of my knitting books (101 Designer One-Skein Wonders) – I knew it was the one. With Stella’s help in deciding which color to use, we settled on a beautiful blue-green wool yarn.
1 skein of yarn
1 pair US8 circular needles
1 set of US8 double pointed needles
Gauge: 16 stitches = 4″ in stockinette stitch
- Using circular needles cast on 79 stitches and join into a round, being careful not to twist the stitches.
- Knit 7 rows, this will make the rolled brim
- *Knit 6, purl 4; repeat from *. This will make the swirl pattern because you have 79 stitches and the pattern is a 10 stitch repeat.
- Continue until the piece measures 5 inches from the rolled brim.
- End with a Purl 4 and place a marker to mark the beginning of subsequent rounds.
The Decrease (change to your double pointed needles when needed)
Round 1: *K2tog (knit 2 together), K4, P4; repeat from *.
Round 2: *K5, P4; repeat from *.
Round 3: Continue in pattern ending with a P4, move marker here.
Round 4: *K5, P2tog (purl 2 together), P2; repeat from *.
Round 5: *K5, P3; repeat from *, ending with a P3, move marker here.
Round 6: *K2tog, K3, P3; repeat from *.
Round 7: *K4, P3; repeat from *, ending with a P3, move marker here.
Round 8: *K2tog, K2, P3; repeat from *.
Round 9: *K3, P3; repeat from *, ending with a P3, move marker here.
Round 10: *K3, P2tog, P1; repeat from *.
Round 11: *K3, P2; repeat from *, ending with a P2, move marker here.
Round 12: *K2tog, K1, P2; repeat from *.
Round 13: Purl
Round 14: *P2tog, P2; repeat from *.
Round 15: Purl
Round 16: *P2tog, P1; repeat from *.
- Cut yarn, leaving a 10″ tail.
- Thread the tail onto your tapestry needle and draw through remaining stitches twice.
- Pull up snug and fasten off on the inside.
- Weave in ends.