Happy Earth Day!!!!
With all our activities and with me still getting used to how long it takes to get to town and other places – I find myself running late more often than is usual for me! With that being said, we have been in need of something quick to grab as a snack or to hold us over until dinner – what to make that is nutritious and fits the bill? A nutrient dense muffin and since I still have plenty of carrots – I decided on a nutrient dense carrot muffin.
These made 36 muffins and they froze really well – an added bonus!
Nutrient Rich Carrot Oat Muffins
2 1/2 cups oats (not quick)
1 cup flour
2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 up hemp seeds
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbl butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl cinnamon
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins
Crispy Pumpkin Seeds
1. Mix together the oats and 1/2 cup flour with 2 cup buttermilk in a large bowl. Cover and let stand overnight for at least 12 hours but no more than 24 hours.
2. When you are ready to mix the other ingredients in with the soaked oats, plump the raisins by covering with hot water and let sit for at 15 minutes.
3. Shred the carrots with a grater – I used 2 large carrots.
4. Drain the raisins.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
6. Mix the carrots and eggs into the oats mixture.
7. Add the flax meal and hemp seeds, mix well.
8. Add the butter, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 cup flour. baking soda – mix well.
9. Add the raisins, coconut, and vanilla – mix well.
10. Either grease or use muffin papers – fill the tray.
11. Pour batter into each muffin cup – filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with crispy pumpkin seeds.
12. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I checked the first time at about 30 minutes.
13. Take out of pan and allow to cool.
These made it to work as a snack for all, in Stella’s lunch, snacks on the go – they were wonderful with a big slather of butter – yum!