When I was in first grade, my teacher Mrs. Bartel was wonderful and good with crafts. Do you remember when you were in school and there was always a craft project around the holidays? We would make Christmas presents, Mother’s day presents, Father’s day presents – the schools don’t really do that anymore – at least not that much here. Really, I would love to get a rock paper weight. Well around Christmas time we were given color paper with pieces xeroxed on them for us to cut out. Once we were done cutting out and gluing we had a wonderful Santa Claus mobile. This mobile hung in our house every Christmas and then one year my mother took it part and made another one out of felt – a little more durable – but I have to say that I have the original and almost 40 years later it has held up pretty good!
Santa Claus Mobile
Cotton balls (optional)
1. Using the template, cut our your pieces. (The templates are printed on 8×11 paper).
2. Using the cut out pieces, trace onto the appropriate color felt. You will need to cut 2 of each piece.
3. Layout your mobile and cut 4 pieces of string – 2 for the eyes and eye brows, 1 to attach the nose and beard to the hat and then one piece to attach to the top of the hat to hang by.
4. Using white glue, glue the pieces together with the string in the middle of the pieces where needed.
5. If you so choose, you can use 2 cotton balls for the tip of Santa’s hat. Sometimes I also fill the white trim of the hat with cotton too – adds a nice touch.
6. Hang and enjoy. The mobile makes a great gift that the kids can make on their own!