Do you some mornings where you get up at your normal time and then all of a sudden you are running late? We have those on occasion and even though we are running late we do not skip breakfast. These are easy to make, store well and since they are kept in the refrigerator their shelf life is about a week – two weeks. They also freeze well – so you can make a batch and have it as your backup breakfast when needed. These are also a great snack to back in your child’s school lunch.
This is the last of the gluten free recipe marathon – I hope you enjoyed them and hopefully made some of them or plan to in the near future!
1/2 cup rolled oats, uncooked
1/2 cup millet, uncooked
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 tsp butter
2 bananas, peeled and sliced into thin discs
1/2 cup raw honey
2 tbsp cacao powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
2 Tbl Assured Organics Grape seed flour
1 tsp sea salt
4 cups water
2 tbsp Nature’s Approved Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1. Rinse the quinoa and place in a large pot. Add the rolled oats to the pot.
2. In a small pan, melt 2 tsp of butter and add the millet. Stirring constantly, lightly brown the millet. When done add to the quinoa and oats.
3. Add all the other ingredients except the coconut oil to the pot. Bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer, covered, for about 20 – 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. You want the mixture to become the consistency of a thick batter.
4. Turn heat off and remove the cinnamon stick.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Melt the coconut oil. Use half of the oil to coat the bottom of a 9×6 pan. Set the other half aside.
7. Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top with a spatula.
8. Coat the top of the mixture with the other half of the coconut oil.
9. Bake for 1 hour.
10. Place on a wire rack and cool completely. Once cooled cut into 12 bars and store in and airtight container in the refrigerator. Best eaten when chilled.