I am really liking both needle felting and knit felting, so I decided I would try my hand at a knitted felted bowl. I have looked at this pattern for several years and to tell the truth have been a little intimidated by the pattern and the whole felting process, but I think I have overcome my fear!
Knitted Felted Bowl (pattern thanks to 101 Designer one-skein wonders, Storey Publishing)
1 skein wool yarn (super bulky – which I did not have, so I used another size yarn)
1 pair #13 circular needles (24″)
1 pair double pointed #13 needles
Gauge: 11 stitches = 4″ in stockinette stitch
Size after felting” Approximately 17″ circumference and 4″ tall
Size after felting: Approximately
Knitting the Rim
2. K1, *bind off 4, K1; repeat to last 4 stitches, bind off 4. You should now have 36 stitches
Knitting the Bowl
Rounds 1 – 6: Knit
Round 7: *K6, M1 (with the left needle, insert tip underneath the strand of yarn between the two needles and place the lifted strand on the left needle, knit the lifted strand, twisting it to avoid leaving a hole); repeat from * (42 stitches)
Round 8 & 9: Knit
Round 10: *K7, M1; repeat from * (48 stitches)
Round 11 & 12: Knit
Rounds 14 – 25: Knit
Round 26: *K7, K2tog (knit 2 together); repeat from * (48 stitches)
Round 27: *K6, K2tog; repeat from * (42 stitches)
Round 28: *K5, K2tog; repeat from * (36 stitches)
Rounds 29 – 32: Continue in this manner, knitting 1 fewer stitch between decreases, until you have 12 stitches remaining
Round 33: *k2tog; repeat from * (6 stitches)
Cut the yarn, leaving at least a 10″ tail. Thread your darning needle and draw through the remaining stitches, twice. Pull up snug and fasten off on the inside. Weave in ends.
Felting the Bowl
1. Place the bowl inside a pillowcase and tie closed.
2. Set the washing machine for the lowest water level, longest washing cycle and the hottest water temperature.
4. Check the felting process frequently. You may have to do the wash again. Once the item is felted to my liking, I turn the washing machine dial to rinse and spin – then I don’t have to do it – if not follow the step below.
5. When the bowl gets to the desired size and felting, remove, rinse in cold water and blot dry with a towel.
6. Shape the bowl and allow to dry