Stella has been counting down the days until Christmas , so as of this morning it is 3 days away – yikes! I still have 2 presents that are not done. I always think that I am going to be ahead of the game and each year I am frantic the closer that Christmas comes – it may be that I just have grand ideas. So I am trying to finish a pair of fingerless mittens for one of my surrogate sons on the block, but I am only 1/2 way done with one of them – I will get it done – I may even be knitting Christmas morning.
Now for the thumb gusset……..
The one gift that has to get done is Stella’s quilt. I have been working into the late hours each evening and am slowly getting there. I will only have the front of it done and I am sure that she will be fine with that. Even if I had the time I could not finish the whole thing – I don’t have enough floor space to lay it out and piece together and will not until the Christmas tree comes down and the furniture has been put back.
So as of last night I have all the stars sewn on to the squares and this was not without some more issues with the pattern directions. It states that the stars are 9″ x 9″ squares so when I decided to sew the stars onto squares I figured out how much fabric I would need and I even purchased a half yard extra. When I was at the fabric store – I am not sure why – but I had a feeling that I should buy some extra fabric, just in case I did not have enough stars for the quilt – thank goodness I did – because when I came home I counted the stars and I was 4 short!!!!! I don’t think the person who wrote the pattern in the quilt book ever made this particular quilt.
Before I started cutting the squares I cut all the sashings and that is when I realized that the squares were not 9″ x 9″ but were actually suppose to be 10″ x 10″ – not enough fabric and they were sold out on line so I had to find the time to make it back to the fabric store and it is not right around the corner.
So the sashings are all cut, the squares are cut, the stars were glued on to the squares – they shifted too much when I just pinned them – by the way if you ever are going to use fabric glue it has to set for 24 hours – another day gone that I needed.
And then ………