I love pumpkin pie and the only time I usually make it is for Thanksgiving. The baking for our Thanksgiving meal started last night, will continue tonight and then some on the morning of Thanksgiving. I started with the pie.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
2 cups of pureed pumpkin or 1 15oz can of, preferably, organic pumpkin (I had 1 can in the cupboard – so I took the short cut and used it)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk OR 1 cup heavy cream, plus 1/2 cup whole milk, plus 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 9” deep dish pie shell (I cheated here too – I love graham cracker crust – so I bought one)
I remember when I used to make this way back I used to use condensed milk, but since I try to do only organic products, especially dairy – I changed over to heavy cream and milk. I did find this year some organic condensed milk – so I decided I would give it a try and see if I liked the pie recipe with it as much as I remember.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix spices together and add pumpkin.
3. Add remaining filling ingredients. Mix slowly, just until thoroughly mixed.
4. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350º for an additional 30-40 minutes. I place on a cookie sheet and then place in the oven, but you do not have to. At about 30 minutes check for doneness. Stick a knife in the pie, but not in the center, but about 1″ out from the center. If the knife comes out clean it is done. The center will continue to cook while cooling on the rack.
5. Cool on rack for at least 2 hours. Serve or refrigerate.
I will make some homemade whipped cream before serving this after our Thanksgiving feast.
I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. I give thanks for my daughter, my family, my friends and my blog followers. I also give thanks to the harvest that will sustain us through the winter and to all the local farmers that feed us with their wonderful bounty that is tended to with such love!