I love asparagus, sauteed, baked, grilled, you name it – delicious! When I came across this risotto recipe and with the first of the asparagus in the stores – I knew what I had to do – make it! Making risotto takes time, but I love seeing the transition in the rice and the creaminess developing with each addition of broth, mouth watering – just anticipating the taste sensation.
2 Tbl butter
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
2 – 3 gloves garlic, finely diced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (or can substitute with broth)
4 – 4 1/2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable (I used vegetable)
1 bunch asparagus, wash, ends broken off and cut into 1″ pieces – about 2 cups
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare all you ingredients.
2. Heat the broth in a saucepan – you want the broth to be hot when adding to the rice.
3. In a heavy bottom saute pan or wide pot (I used my cast iron dutch oven), melt the butter.
4. Add the carrots and onion and saute until soften. When they are almost done add the garlic.
5. Add the rice and stir to coat the rice thoroughly with butter.
7. Over medium-low heat, add 1/2 cup of broth at a time, stirring pretty constantly until absorbed, then add more broth. This process will take 30 – 40 minutes.
8. When you are about to add the last 1/2 cup of broth, also add the asparagus. This will allow it to cook along with the rice – about 5 minutes. The asparagus will be cooked but crisp.
9. Add the cheese, stirring to mix throughout.