We continue to eat pistachio nuts at our house and to save the shells. I have many baggies filled with pistachio shells and am always on the look-out for things to make with them. There is a flower pin that I have been wanting to make – but as of yet have not made that one. I am always doing research, looking through books and stores for craft ideas for myself and the kids craft corner. I came across a picture of an egg made from pistachio shells. There were no step by step directions just said that the base was a styrofoam egg. I was hoping to find another base, but was not successful.
Before we begin on the How To – I must say it took me three tries before I got a good pattern and layering going. It was a little frustrating and after two tries, I had to step away and come back later – the next day I went back to it and it all clicked together. I love it!
Pistachio Shell Egg
1. Pour the shells into a bowl and make sure they are clean and have no skins inside the shell.
2. Starting at the narrow part of the styrofoam egg – layer the shells in a circular fashion. I would put a line of glue around the egg and then lay the shells.
3. Repeat step 2 until you have almost covered the whole egg.
4. Cut a piece of ribbon – about 5″ – 6″ long – and glue to the top of the egg.
5. Layer shells around the top and the ribbon – making sure that no styrofoam is showing.
Hang somewhere that will have many eyes on it – people will ask about it!!