Thanksgiving is only days away and the baking for most has started. I made the pumpkin pie and this time with a crispy almond pie crust. Usually I take the short cut and uby a pre-made pie crust at Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but not this year. There was some extra pumpkin pie batter – so I put that in custard cups – so we get TWO desserts – lucky us!!
Crispy Almond Pie Crust
1. Place the almonds into a food processor and process until you have almond meal.
2. Add all other ingredients and process until a smooth ball is formed.
3. Butter and flour a pie pan.
4. Press the dough into the pan until the pie pan is covered. Use a fork to make a nice design on your crust edges. Set aside.
1 3/4 cup fresh pumpkin puree or 1- 15oz can of pumpkin puree
3/4 cup rapadura or coconut sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup organic, condensed milk or creme fraiche
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream the eggs and rapadura.
3. Add all spices and blend well.
4. Add the pumpkin – mix well.
5. Add the condensed milk – mix well.
6. Pour into your prepared crispy almond pie crust.
7. Cover the edges of the pie crust with covers or tin foil.
8. Bake for 25 minutes and then take the tin foil off the pie crust edges. Even though I covered the crust – when I tool the tin foil off some of the crust was already burnt – not sure why.
9. Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
This freezes well – so you can make ahead. Serve with freshly made whipped cream. Enjoy.