For Christmas I received a gift of a handmade knitted washcloth and a wonderful bar of handmade soap! I loved them both and remembered that my grandmother used to knit washcloths as gifts. I reached out to my aunt and asked her for the pattern, which she gladly shared and then told me it was grandma’s pattern. I remembered that grandma had sent me the pattern and I was new to knitting and the yarn overs scared me – I need to look for the piece of paper! This is a fast knit and you can knit a washcloth in an afternoon or over the course of 2 evenings. I made mine a little smaller than the pattern shared below – I wanted to make a special one for Stella since we had just bought some beautiful handmade soap – her’s was a cranberry bar!
Knitted Wash Cloth
Size 8 knitting needles
1.Cast on 4 stitches
2. K2, yarn over, knit to end
3. Repeat step 2 until you have 60 stitches on the needle (I repeated until I had 40 stitches).
4. Start decreasing by: Knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together…knit to end
5. Repeat step 4 until there is 4 stitches on the needle, bind off.
6. Weave in ends and go take a shower or bath to use your new washcloth!