I was tasked to come up with some gluten free recipes and it being apple season – I thought why not give one of my favorite recipes a make-over. I think one of the reasons I love apple crisp so much is the memory of my grandmother making it – then serving it with Breyer’s vanilla ice cream. The aroma in the house while it is baking is wonderful and I love the fact that it lingers well after you take the crisp out of the oven! This would make for a great Thanksgiving Dinner dessert for those that have gluten intolerance.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
5 – 6 cups apples, pared or unpared
½ cup sugar (preferably Rapadura, Sucanat or Coconut sugar)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
2 Tbl Sorghum flour
1 Tbl Grape Seed flour
½ cup Buckwheat Flour
¼ cup + 1 Tbl Gluten Free flour
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
Cinnamon to taste
Note: Instead of using Sorghum, Buckwheat and Gluten Free Flour – you could use just one flour in the amount of 1 cup. I combine for flavor and nutrients.
1. Melt the butter and set aside.
2. Grease a 7×11 or 9×11 baking dish.
3. Cut the apples and place in the baking dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Mix together the sugar, baking powder, salt, flours and egg with a fork. Sprinkle over the apples.
6.Sprinkle the topping over the cut apples.
7. Drizzle the melted butter over all.
8. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
9. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes. The top will get crunchy.
Serve warm, but delicious cold too! Serves 6 – 8.