I love gnocchi and have never made it before. I had been sent a recipe for gnocchi a long time ago and came across it when I was looking for our new recipe of the week. I made some changes to it and think I have come up with a really good recipe.
Acorn Squash Gnocchi
1 acorn squash (big enough for 2 cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour, plus more for when making
3 Tbl melted butter
1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1. Cut acorn squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Place face down on a tin foil lined cookie sheet. Spray some oil on the tin foil. Place in a 350 degree oven. Cook for about 30 minutes and then turn the squash over and cook for another 20 – 30 minutes or until the squash is tender and a fork goes in easily. Take out and cool.
2. Scoop out the squash and put 2 cups into a large bowl.
3. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg – mix.
4. Add the flour, one cup at a time, until dough forms (the dough will pull away from the side of the bowl).
5. Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface. With well floured hands knead the dough about 10 – 12 times.
6. Divide dough in half, wrapping one half in plastic wrap.
7. With the other half, taking pieces off, roll into a long rope in your hands. Lay rope on the work space and cut into 1″ pieces with a knife – form and place pieces on a floured baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
8. Melt and brown the butter in a small saucepan. Chop sage and add to butter. Once done place to side.
9. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
10. While the water is boiling, grated the cheese.
11. Boil gnocchi until they rise to the surface, about 4 minutes – take out with a slotted spoon about 30 seconds after that. Make sure all the water is drained.
12. Place gnocchi in a bowl, toss with the sage butter sauce and cheese. Serve.
This made a lot of gnocchi – I froze some and we will have it again this week.
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2011
Wow! You make this look easy. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )