I just LOVE the fact that Stella is starting to really love baking and cooking! This past Sunday I spent the whole day in the kitchen baking Christmas cookies with her – it was an incredible day! It is wonderful watching her get all her ingredients together before she starts, measuring, mixing, putting things into the oven – bliss!
We were at a pot luck at our neighbors not too long ago and for dessert there was cranberry cake – it was delicious. Some was sent home with us and as we were enjoying it for a second time – Stella said “mom, we so have to get this recipe!” So we did!
2 cups organic sugar (maybe next time we will try rapadura)
3/4 cups softened organic butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup organic flour (can use whole wheat, unbleached white, or spelt)
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2/3 cup walnuts or pecans (we used crispy walnuts)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Beat the eggs with the sugar for 5 minutes.
2. Add the butter and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour.
4. Crush or cut up your nuts. To crush, place your nuts into a plastic bag, seal, and crush with a rolling pin, shaking and turning the bag as you go – making sure all have been crushed.
5. Stir in the cranberries and nuts.
6. Grease a 9×13 pan and scoop your batter in and spread evenly.
7. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.